About Me

My photo
I have been in the newspaper and website business for over 40 years. I am a fan of NASCAR and saltwater fishing. I graduated from Westminster High School and attended Frederick Communty College. I was a member of National Press Photographers Association, Eastern Motorsports Press Association, Carroll County Oldtimes Baseball Association and AP Photo Managers. I am retired now. I would appreciate any comments or just to let me know you stopped by, thanks!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Docked in Nassau


























































After leaving Florida, we headed to Nassau in the Bahamas. Nassau is a historic city and has a touch of Britain. There was a lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor and it reminded me of a calendar or a magazine. Like all the other lighthouses we passed on the trip, I took many images. It turned into one of my favorite shots of the cruise. I found the city dirtier than Freeport, but it is older. The streets are narrow, which take you back to a colonial time. The past is blended with the present as there is Dunkin' Doughnuts, Hard Rock Cafe, Subway and many more that you see here at home. The locals refer to McDonald's as the Amercian Embassy. The vendors are pushier than in Freeport also, but just say no and keep walking, just like visiting New York. We took jeep tour of the area and the guide was great and funny. We got to see the  caves were the natives were when Columbus landed back in the 1400s. The police in their white outfits get your attention and there are images of Queen Elizabeth around a plaza. There are many contrasts between the locals and the tourist, which lets you know that the tourist trade is important to the city. I would like to go back for a carriage ride through the town. The ship left the harbor around 11 p.m., so we got to see Nassau at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment