About Me

My photo
I have been in the newspaper and website business for over 40 years. I am a fan of NASCAR and saltwater fishing. I graduated from Westminster High School and attended Frederick Communty College. I was a member of National Press Photographers Association, Eastern Motorsports Press Association, Carroll County Oldtimes Baseball Association and AP Photo Managers. I am retired now. I would appreciate any comments or just to let me know you stopped by, thanks!

Friday, July 31, 2009

Tornado






While I am no longer working for a newspaper, I still listen to a police/fire scanner. After 35 years it's hard habit to give up.
Today we hear them give a tornado warning and then said there was one near Mount Airy. We set off to give Ian Barry a ride. We thought we had time to get back home. Nice thought.
On the way back the storm hit. Boy, did the rain come down along with high winds. We headed back to the Barry's and got very wet running in.
After Ian got home, we heard the fire alert for storm damage from a tornado near Gamber. So, we all jumped in the truck and off we went. Ian knows Carroll roads as well as I do, so he drove. That left me to shot out the window.
We saw damage as he turned on Deer Park Road. As we turned right on to Constellation Way fire equipment blocked the road. It was easy to see the damage. Trees were down and siding was around the yards.
The equipment was between the two most damaged homes. Both lost part of their roofs. After taking a few shots, Ian drove around to the other side of the street.
More trees down and stripped of leaves and bark. A lady came out and said she saw the funnel cloud come down and do the damage. Ian and I got out of the truck and walked around. The garage on one house had a wall moved along with part of the roof missing.
The damage was hit and miss. Tornado damage always amazes me, how it is hit and miss along with how it snaps or strips trees.
This is the second tornado damage in the Gamber area I have shot in the last 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment