About Me

My photo
I have been in the newspaper and website business for over 40 years. I am a fan of NASCAR and saltwater fishing. I graduated from Westminster High School and attended Frederick Communty College. I was a member of National Press Photographers Association, Eastern Motorsports Press Association, Carroll County Oldtimes Baseball Association and AP Photo Managers. I am retired now. I would appreciate any comments or just to let me know you stopped by, thanks!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Baltimore






Having spent my whole life (so far) in Maryland, one thing I have never done is spend a day in Baltimore.
I have traveled to the state's largest city for assignments like the Orioles, Ravens, ice hockey, etc. I have also attended car and boat shows.
Come to think about it, I took a class trip to Fort McHenry when I was in elementary school.
The trip this week came about because one of my best friends and his girl friend traveled north from North Carolina for a couple days. Paul and Cathy stayed in Westminster, so he could show her his old stomping grounds.
We met them at the Metro station in Owings Mills for the ride in to Baltimore.
We got off at Lexington Market to start a day of walking. First stop was Camden Yards to buy tickets to the Oriole's game Wednesday night.
Then it was off to the Inner Harbor. We took a break at Harbor place for a drink and to view the harbor in AC.
From there it was on to a water taxi. The price seems a little high at $9, but you get to use it all day to get along the harbor.
It takes you around the harbor with stops at the Science Center, Fort McHenry,, Aquarium, Fells Point and Rusty Scupper along with other stops.
We had lunch at the Rusty Scupper with a great view of the harbor. We even had entertainment as we watched a paddle boat on tour and a pirate ship being attacked.
Back to the water taxi and Fells Point. The main attraction for us was the building where "Homicide-Life on the Street" was filmed. I miss that show.
We walked around the area and spent as much time looking at the sky as the scenery. The weather forecast was for rain with storms in the afternoon. There were dark clouds, but they stayed south of the city for now.
Loving history, it would have been great to see the harbor when it was at it's peak with sailing ships up through 1950.
Then we walked back to catch the water taxi. We took a short break again at Harbor place.
Back to our feet for the walk to Camden Yards for the ball game. We had to wait through a couple of hard showers, but the wait was worth it as the O's won.
Paul had told Cathy about the national anthem and the fans adding to the O for the home team.
Sitting through rain and the warm day was nothing compared to the ride back on the Metro. We had two long waits after getting on board. What should have been a short return trip like 20 minutes turned into 45 minutes.
We finally returned home after 1 a.m.
It was a fun day and it was great to visit the Inner harbor as a tourist. Now to find the time to look at all the images I took (around 2,000) and help Shirley with the blister she earned on her foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment