About Me

My photo
I have been in the newspaper and website business for over 40 years. I am a fan of NASCAR and saltwater fishing. I graduated from Westminster High School and attended Frederick Communty College. I was a member of National Press Photographers Association, Eastern Motorsports Press Association, Carroll County Oldtimes Baseball Association and AP Photo Managers. I am retired now. I would appreciate any comments or just to let me know you stopped by, thanks!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Orioles






What would a summer day in Baltimore be without taking in an Oriole game.
It has been another trying season for the home fans. It wasn't helped by losing the first two games of a four game set.
The Bird's have a lot of young players and are aiming toward the future.
Part of the future was on display Wednesday night as Chris Tillman took the mound for his major league debut.
We attended the game with my friend Paul and his girl friend Cathy. They were visiting from North Carolina. Paul and I had worked together on a newspaper and have kept in touch.
I haven't been to an O's game in about 10 years and it was with Paul. Shirley hadn't been in a while also. So, we were looking forward to the game.
As usual, I had my camera with me. It's a strange feeling shooting from the bleachers after shooting at field level from the dugout area.
After the Royals took batting practice, the ground crew covered the field. Not a good sign.
Following a shower, they uncovered the field and Tillman strolled toward the bullpen. He loosened up in center field which was fine for my Nikon. After shooting some images I watched him and he seemed nervous and why not, as over 19,000 folks were there to see part of the future.
Well, Tillman had to wait through a few more showers before taking the mound. I was very glad Shirley brought an umbrella with us. The game was about 45 minutes late getting started. He was hit hard in the first inning, but it was three up and three down.
He ended up giving up three home runs before getting pulled. But most importantly, the home fans didn't get down on him. Pitching is an important element at this level and Tillman is just part of it.
Even if he never lost a game, that would only be a win every fifth game and that's not going to happen. The Birds need four other starting pitchers to get back on top of the American League East.
The team they send to hit looks good for the future. They just need help at the corners (maybe they could teach Luke Scott to play first).
Even getting soaked, it was a fun time. The only bad thing about the game was not the rain, but two loud drunks at the end of the row.
I know you pay to come in and watch the game and yell at the opponent. But respect those around you. If not, they wouldn't return which is bad for the Oriole's and baseball. We will go back, it just will not take as long to return this time.
The selection of images include Chris Tillman looking at the scoreboard in center field and his first pitch in Camden Yards. Adam Jones warming up in center field, fans dancing in the bleachers and Camden Yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment