About Me

My photo
I have been in the newspaper and website business for over 40 years. I am a fan of NASCAR and saltwater fishing. I graduated from Westminster High School and attended Frederick Communty College. I was a member of National Press Photographers Association, Eastern Motorsports Press Association, Carroll County Oldtimes Baseball Association and AP Photo Managers. I am retired now. I would appreciate any comments or just to let me know you stopped by, thanks!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shooting the Moon






One of the things I like to aim my camera at is the moon. Man has looked at the moon for years. There are songs, books and other works about the moon. This week we celebrated 40 years since man set foot on the moon.
The moon landing is one of those events you remember where you were. That July evening in 1969 I was huddled with the family in the family room in Union Mills to watch the event.
We were afraid we would miss it as a thunderstorm hit. We always turned the television off during storms, something Shirley and I still do today.
Any way the storm passed and we got to see history.
The moon isn't hard to shoot when it is rising. It's just a low-light front lit scene.
Start by metering the sky, adjust your shutter speed, compose the scene and use the camera's self-timer or cable release.
Check the calendar for the next full moon and then shoot the day before. Why, because the eastern sky and the landscape are close to the same exposure.
The exposure will work out close to F/8 for 1/8 second with a long lens.
Take the time to watch where the moon rises. Also scout out the landscape ahead of time.
It's best to shoot the moon rising or setting. It's not as bright and has a nice glow.
The shot with the tree is the moon setting. I had seen that tree before and kept an eye out when ever I passed it on Old Washington Road.
The corn framed by the moon is setting early on a fall morning.
The windmill along with the geese and boats are also a rising moon. The windmill was shot in Eldersburg. The geese and the moon were shot on the Eastern Shore. The boats are in Wachapreague, Va.

No comments:

Post a Comment